Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Jello Origami

JELLOGAMI!

We've been experimenting with making Jellogami for a few months now- meaning we tried it a few months ago, and finally got around to taking a photograph.

Well, How'd ya do it?
The "paper" is actually granulated gelatin, water, and food coloring painted over gelatin veining sheets. The origami is faked, we used scissors and "glue" (warmed gelatin and water).

What does it taste like?
That green one in the photo above (there is a video of it's creation below) taste like nothing. The gelatin is unflavored. But the pink ones are ROSE flavored! Delicious! The rose syrup was added with the food coloring. Rose syrup what I had on hand, but we'll try it again with hard candy extracts. 

This isn't a Jello shot. 
We know. We got the veining sheets (thanks mom!) to decorate our jello shots:
our Happy Birthday jello from January 2011

Well, what's the point?
Bor-ring...
Beautiful!

Is that key lime cupcake with rose flavored buttercream frosting not trendy enough?
PUT A 
(rose flavored) 
BIRD 
ON IT!


(Click to enlarge any photo)



Here's a video of how it's done, CHECK IT:


9 comments:

  1. Another fantastic creation. The jello present is also fab. You should submit that cupcake to cupcakes take the cake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Impressive. Most impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great video! Very creative and very well done!
    I appreciate the "put a bird on it" possibilities ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesomesauce.

    I've been experimenting with gummy as a medium. You can totally make it look like flesh. Zombie flesh, if you're so inclined. I've got a bunch of blog entries about my gummy experiments here: http://www.eat-the-evidence.com/category/gummy/

    You don't have to put the sheets in the fridge, btw. In fact, depending on where you live, the fridge may be more humid than your kitchen. They'll dry pretty quick just out on the counter, and pop as they release from the texture mat. This can be horrifying when you set a bunch to dry in the evening and forget about them and then you hear OMGBURGLAR noises from your kitchen as you go to bed. Heh.

    They make for faboo bows too...there's one on the tippy top of this cake although it's hard to see up there: http://kimberlychapman.com/crafts/cakes/2010-feb-alienfilmfestival.html

    Normal people use textured gelatin sheets for butterflies and flowers. I like your approach much better. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kimberly,
    I loove love love love love Eat the Evidence! I was on it for a while last night, every time I scrolled I was so worried that you had done something I have been wanting to try. I mean, like, you already made a periodic table (it's in the header, I didn't see the entry). I really like the experimental angle.

    It makes sense that you wouldn't need to put the sheets in the fridge, they probably dry out sooner with more air circulation. It's kind of like how "they" tell you that you can't flavor the sheets, but maybe nobody had ever tried.

    I have some of those butterfly and flower texture sheets, it's on the back burner.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, this weekend is good for me, since this time i am reading this enormous informative article here at my home. origami box

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice post thank you Antonio

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...